I had a thoroughly enjoyable zero day yesterday relaxing with Parker, checking in in Facebook and not watching the news. Parker has had to go back to work, Whippet has also returned to real life, and I’m ready to get back on the trail.
After careful consideration (truly), I have decided to continue my hike. I think the trail is still a safe place to be for me and for others. Parker & my children (now that they have passed their quarantine periods) will continue to be my only support/contact. I see 1-3 people/day on the trail & do not come within 6 feet of any of them. I do not believe that returning home—and the inevitable social contact of urban living—will be safer for me, or for the public.
The closed trails across the inner corridor of The Grand Canyon are ~21 miles of the trail. My plan is to hike up to the Grand Canyon, and have Parker drive me around to pick up the trail on the other side and continue to Utah. Since I have already covered that stretch of the AZT four times in my previous Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim runs, I am okay calling my hike complete without hiking them again (though I was looking forward to experiencing those special trails with a pack and at a slower pace). The great thing about doing your own thing is that you can define success however you want!
Now that I am closer to home, and in a little less remote area of the trail, I’m hoping to be in a bit closer contact. I plan to hook up with Parker every 4-5 days for re-supply and updates. If the situation changes, I will again re-evaluate and adjust fire.
I’ll hit the trail around noon today for the next 4-day stretch … hoping the forecast for mild temps and sunny skies holds!